Frustration is Important

21 Aug

We’re prone to pretending, you and I, acting as though we’re capable. But in truth, we’re not. God has not invested Himself in our capability, but His own… He allows and sometimes even causes awful frustration to visit with us… Prolonged frustration and bother don’t happen simply to goad us into good behavior or to teach us a lesson – they keep us from pretending we can do anything apart from Christ… Frustration is the beginning of the end of pretending… That’s why frustration is so important! It keeps us bothered with this world and the stuff we go through every day so we’ll not live by it or for it.

Ralph Harris

God’s Astounding Opinion of You, Harvest House, 2011, 169-170

Advertisements

7 Responses to “Frustration is Important”

1. jeremypenwarden May 3, 2011 at 6:36 pm #

Is this true? Is frustration important for us? Well, lets look at Jesus. Did frustration help him and what was he frustrated by?

The unbelief and slowness to learn of his disciples and the religious who wouldn’t change their minds about God.

Are those the things that we’re frustrated by?

And as to ability, I’m now a supernatural son of God, so I do have ability. And I’ll never be apart from God, so talking about my potential ability or otherwise apart from God is irrelevant.

So I think this quote is full of religious rubbish that needs addressing. Not at all the kind of quote I’d have expected you to be putting up Paul.

• Paul Ellis May 3, 2011 at 6:36 pm #

And yet this is exactly the sort of comment I’m coming to expect from you Jeremy.

• jeremypenwarden May 3, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

‘Pretending we can do anything apart from Christ’. How daft is that statement? When am I EVER going to pretend that I am apart from Christ?

• jeremypenwarden May 3, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

God CAUSES awful frustration to visit us!!!!! Even prolonged frustration!!!!! That is nowhere in my gospel. I teach that we’ve been given everything 2 Pet 1:3. Frustration doesn’t pertain to life or godliness. Check the definition. When did Jesus ever give frustration to people and say it was God’s blessing to them?

The more I think about this the more FRUSTRATED I’m getting.

• Paul Ellis May 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

Read the quote as it is and stop looking for faults. Pretending and mask-wearing is the thing that leads to frustration. Does God put us in situations that reveal what is real and lead to frustration with what is fake? I think He must, otherwise neither of us would be reading this. If you were never frustrated with religion, you would not have given up playing religious games.

I think we’re both getting frustrated – but for very different reasons!

2. jeremypenwarden May 4, 2011 at 2:09 am #

If you’ve learned to expect this kind of comment from me Paul, then I guess you’re getting to know me. I’ve re-read the post and I still see what I saw on first run through. Why is it advisable not to look for faults? Turn a blind eye to error? How does that help anyone?

I indeed have frustrations about not seeing the same things Jesus did. Not living out the Kingdom like I see is possible in the bible.

I agree frustration can be a good sign and probably is an inevitable part of life, given that we’re looking to live as Jesus lived.

However, I disagree with the reasons given in this quote and stand by my comments.

3. Roshan Easo June 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm #

Jeremypenwarden did you resurrect the next day after this comment? When I woke up, I stepped on a cowpatch – but I’m sure you will never do anything like that ever again! Is it because God is with YOU or is it because GOD is with you? Be careful how you answer the resurrected Jesus is looking right over your shoulder…

Comments are closed.